Rainy Days on Kaua’i
Some of you may be wondering, “What do I do if it rains?” Well, I’m here to tell you. But first, let’s start from the beginning…
Kaua’i is home to one of the wettest places on earth, Mount Wai’ale’ale, receiving around 500 inches per year! And what do you get when it rains? Rainbows and waterfalls spilling over lush mountains. The rain is what makes Kaua’i so beautiful.
Now, another thing you need to know, is that Kaua’i has 7 distinct micro climates ranging from rainforest to arid plains. That means, one side of the island could be dry and sunny, and the other could be rainy and cloudy. The leeward (North and east) side of the island usually get the most rain while the Windward (South and West) receive the least amount of rain. So, when in doubt, head South or West!
Of course there will be days where it’s not beach weather (we know you came for the beaches), and in that case, here are five of our favorite suggestions!
- Kauai ATV-We say, embrace the rain and get muddy! This is an awesome option for travelers that want to make the most out of their trip and aren’t afraid to get a little dirty. On this wild ride, you will drive through a mountain range, visit a WW2 bunker, and see some of the most beautiful movie sets on earth. We promise, you won’t be disappointed! https://kauaiatv.com/
- Kauai Rum Safari-(21+)Learn all about the famous Koloa Rum while sipping on hand crafted cocktails. There’s lots of wildlife on this tour and stops at gorgeous pavilions. Super fun and great for photo ops! https://www.kauaisafaris.com/
- Kauai Back Country Tubing-Take a ride down the old irrigation canals on this fun 3 hr adventure. This unique experience includes spectacular views or rural Kaua’i. Don’t forget your Gopro on this one. https://kauaibackcountry.com/tubing/
- Taste Kaua’i-What better to do on a rainy day than eat something yummy? Try some of our favorite places to dine on Kaua’i.
- The Tasting Room
- Kauai Pasta Lihue
- Kiawe Roots
- Namaste Kauai
- Kauai Sushi Station
- Red Salt
- Hanalei Dolphin
- The Bistro
5. Farmer’s Market-The markets run Mon-Sat and are a great chance to support local vendors. Grab some fresh and unique produce for a home cooked meal you won’t forget. https://www.kauai.com/kauai-farmers-markets